tisdag 22 april 2014

I dare you to take a stand against "lagom". Who is with me?

I have lived in Sweden over 20 years and was introduced to "lagom" phenomenon. In theory it all sounds great to do things "lagom" in your life, in your work place, training and so on. The challenges is to determine how much "lagom" is lagom for each and everyone of us in every given situation.

In later years I have started having difficulties with "lagom". My own personal conclusion is "lagom" is how the community imposes it's own set of values to box you into a shape you don't want to be. If you are only inches away from "lagom" you're heading to the wrong direction, according to those whom cannot help to put their nose into others lives.

I am all for living the life to the fullest. Why should I settle for "lagom", "just the right amount" in many areas of my life when we can pursue and achieve greatness?

I want my food to taste fabulous, not lagom. I love when I can cook a dish where I mix hot, spicy, sour and sweet and appreciate all the tastes. I love the exotic dancing of the flavors and the feelings they give me, believe me it's far from lagom.

When I am around someone I dearly care about, my family or my dearest friends, I want him/her/them to feel the way I feel. I want him/her/them to know that they bring meaning to my life, they make life worth living. I want him/her/them to feel great about themselves too, because that's how they make me feel.

Probably one of the hardest decisions is when it's time to buy presents for your loved ones. How much of your local currency is lagom? Who decides "just the right amount" price? I think the question instead should be "which presents can possibly express how much I care about him/her/them" and which one(-s) can I afford. Sometimes presents which don't cost much, even nothing, with a lot of thought behind communicate the your best intentions.

I am not yet sure if "NOT being lagom" can be applied to every aspects of life. I believe that the ups and downs in life make life so much more interesting and tasteful. I know a man, an old man, who in his lowest moments, needs to retract into his cave for long periods of times, even days, not lagom at all, and process things so that he can cope the challenges he faces. It took sometime for him to acknowledge and face the facts and when he eventually did, he was in peace with himself. He learned to appreciate even these low  periods of his life.

I can go on and on with a lot of different examples, I am sure you get the point. Instead it's time to "strap on a pair", stand up, held your head high and declare your intentions to someone you care. Hey why not today? If he/she/they are near by just go over, if they are not where you are give him/her/them a call. Be honest, be real, be yourself and be anything BUT lagom.

I have a warning for you; not being lagom can easily be perceived as arrogance some countries and/or cultures. Finding and acting with humility is a rare quality in human nature so take also that into consideration.

With all that said, who's with me? I dare you to take a stand against "lagom".

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar